Wines of Lake Garda!
Lake Garda, the largest and most popular lake in northern Italy, is a major producer of Italian wines. Totalling over 130,000 hectares, the distinct wine regions of Lombardy, Trentino and Veneto produce some delicious vinos, from the pale, pink sparkling Chiaretto to the many reds of the Valpolicella variety.
What types of wine can I find on Lake Garda?
- Lombardy region
- Lugana – the first Lombard wine to be assigned DOC status in Italy. The white grapes are grown in a special clay soil produced during the last ice age when glaciation formed the lake.
- Groppello – a delicate and rare Italian red that grows in the hills of Valtenesi, and embodies a spicy yet fruity flavour.
- Trentino region
- Marzemino – this deep ruby-red wine is one of the oldest Italian wines, arriving to Trentino from the Black Sea during the rule of the Republic of Venice.
- Gewurztraminer – a popular off-dry white wine with aromas of roses, passion fruit and flora.
- Veneto region
- Bardolino – this light red wine was one of the first Veneto wines to obtain the DOC status in 1968.
- Custoza – a fresh, aromatic and highly drinkable wine with a straw-yellow colour that’s grown on the Morainic hills surrounding the lake.
Can I go wine tasting on Lake Garda?
Yes, there are lots of vineyards dotted around the lake, including Tre Colline in the morainic hills surrounding Bardolino. This winery produces the classico, superiore and chiaretto versions of the renowned Bardolino wine. Here, you can tour the winery before sitting down to a tasting, accompanied by nibbles.
Another option is the Cantina Ferrari, situated north of Riva and Torbole. This environmentally friendly vineyard produces the distinguished Trento DOC. On a tour you’ll learn about the estate’s history and the wine-making process, as well as getting to try some of the cellar’s produce.
Lastly, if you’re on the south of the lake, try out Cantina Ricchi, just a few miles from Sirmione. This family-run vineyard extending over 38 acres has produced wines like Classico Stefanoni and Grappe for generations. Like the others, you’ll get to taste some of the delicious grape juice here too. And the best part? All these tours can be booked as excursions with TUI.
Are there any wine festivals on the lake?
Yes, there are three recognised wine festivals held during the summer months. The first, in June, is the Chiaretto Wine Festival which celebrates the region’s sparkling rosé with wine tastings, fireworks and parades. Fast forward to September and over in Lombardy you can attend the Lugana Grape Festival in Sirmione, jam-packed with music performances and foodie stands. The Festival of Grapes and Bardolino Wine is the last festival of the season, usually held in late September. Paying homage to the local wine, the animated lakeside streets are full of visitors and locals enjoying the food stalls, shows and local crafts.
TUI have some fantastic holidays offers to Lake Garda for this summer. For more information visit https://www.tuiholidays.ie/f/lakes-and-mountains, Call 1850 45 35 45 or visit a TUI Store /travel agent.
Lake Garda Offers:
- 28-Jul-18, Dublin to Verona, Splendid Palace, Limone, 4*, HB, 7nights from €807pps.
- 25-Aug-18, Dublin to Verona, Hotel Lago di Garda, Malcesine, 3*, B&B, 7nights from €663pps.
- 01-Sept-18, Dublin to Verona, Hotel La Perla, Garda, 4*, HB, 7nights from €865pps.
Sunny Majorca from just €465pp.
- 20-Jul-18, Ireland West Airport to Majorca, Hotel Picafort Park, Ca’n Picafort, 4*, HB, 7nights from €639pps.
- 28-Jul-18, Cork to Majorca, TUI FAMILY LIFE Coma Gran, Sa Coma, 4*, SC, 7nights from €589pps.
- 31-Jul-18, Dublin to Majorca, Casablanca Hote, Santa Ponsa, 3*, B&B, 7nights from €519pps.
- 07-Aug-18, Dublin to Majorca, Bellevue Minerva, Alcudia, 2*, AI, 7nights from €739pps
- 03-Aug-18, Dublin to Majorca, Ola Timor, Portals Nous, 3*, SC, 7nights from €699pps
- 03-Aug-18, Ireland West Airport to Majorca, Casablanca Hotel, Santa Ponsa, 3*, B&B, 7nights from €619pps.
- 28-Aug-18, Dublin to Majorca, Deya Apts, Santa Ponsa, 3*, SC, 7nights from €349pps.
Summer 18 Offers:
- 19-Jul-18, Dublin to Ibiza, San Miguel Beach Club, Puerto San Miguel, 3*, AI, 14nights from €1,019pps
- 24-Aug-18, Dublin to Costa Dorada, Hotel Cala Font, Cap De Salou, 3*, HB, 7nights from €669pps.
- 23-Aug-18, Dublin to Ibiza, San Miguel Beach Club, Puerto San Miguel, 3*, AI, 7nights from €779pps
- 27-Aug-18, Shannon to Lanzarote, Costa Sal Apts, Matagorda, 3*, SC, 7nights from €559pps
- 31-Aug-18, Dublin to Costa Dorada, Hotel Californa Palace, Salou, 4*, HB, 7nights from €579pps.
- 11-Aug-18, Dublin to Costa Blanca, Hotel Rio Park, Benidorm, 3*, HB, 3nights from €729pps.
- 01-Aug-18, Dublin to Costa Del Sol, Hotel Angela, Fuengirola, 4*, HB, 3nights from €779pps.
Summer 18 – Cruise from €1,169pps
- 31-Jul-18, Dublin to Majorca, MARELLA DREAM| Mediterranean Medley, inside cabin deck 6/7/10, FB, 7nights from €1,169pps.
To Book: Visit www.tuiholidays.ie, Call 1850 45 35 45 or visit a TUI Store /travel agent.